After graduating with an Economics Degree from the University of California, San Diego, Brett started his career in institutional asset management in the San Francisco Bay Area with Fisher Investments where those he served included pensions, endowments as well as foundations and wealthy families. His former experience also includes positions at Edward Jones Investments, John Hancock, MassMutual, an independent registered investment advisor firm (RIA) that was part of the Charles Schwab RIA network as well as an alternative asset management firm that specialized in real estate private placements, non-traded REITs, 1031 exchanges and Delaware Statutory Trusts (DSTs).
Throughout his professional life, it became clear to Brett that in many ways, the traditional approach to financial services & planning seemed to be breaking down and becoming antiquated. For people to have a financial experience that helps them meet their goals and overcome the challenges and uncertainties they face today, as well as the future, a more creative mindset and approach needs to be pursued.
To ensure he can identify, implement and manage what is necessary in each unique client situation as well as be on the forefront of what some of the brightest minds in the industry are developing, he has advanced his professional education by earning the Chartered Life Underwriter®, Chartered Financial Consultant®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and Accredited Investment Fiduciary® designations. Ultimately, his philosophy and approach has been shaped by his belief that the people he works with deserve to be heard, understood, respected and appreciated by a professional who is authentic, candid and follows through on their commitments.
What led Brett to join One San Diego Financial Strategies, Inc. was a combination and culmination of factors. First, from a client experience standpoint, he found that the culture & vision matched what he believes should be provided to clients:
- Focus on collaborative approach to helping clients create financial freedom instead of following the conventional approach of giving investment advice or selling insurance products
- Focus on transparency and simplifying the financial planning process and ongoing management
- Independence and access to various financial planning strategies, tools, companies, and technologies
- More creative approaches to financial planning strategies and options
And addressing the opportunities he saw for leadership within the industry, One San Diego demonstrated the following:
- There was an environment and an attitude of “show me” instead of “tell me” where not only those at the top lead from the front by example rather than giving orders from the back but also doing so with a lack of pretentiousness and significantly more candor.
- Rather than focus on how many financial representatives were a part of and/or joining the firm, the focus at One San Diego is on dedicated and consistent mentoring, coaching and development so not only could they do exceptional work for their clients but so they could grow and excel as professionals.
- The One San Diego leadership team is still actively engaged with clients out of a desire to never lose sight of what is most important to the success of the firm and its representatives: striving to bring better financial outcomes to clients.
- And lastly and most importantly, he saw that he could truly trust and rely on the leadership team to be counted on to step up, take action and follow through on anything that was needed to support members of the firm and their clients.
Outside of the firm, Brett resides in Orange County with his amazing and supportive wife Courtney. Brett and Courtney enjoy supporting local non-profit organizations, traveling and just about any outdoor activity.